NSentinel 4 is a N management system that combines not one, but four modes of action. Ecotain is an environmental plantain and the key product in the NSentinel 4 system, reducing N leaching from the urine patch, naturally and now.
How it works
Ecotain environmental plantain increases the volume of urine animals produce from a similar amount of N ingested. This means the N being excreted is in a more dilute form, resulting in a reduced N load in the urine patch.
Ecotain reduces the amount of dietary N which is excreted in urine, compared with ryegrass. This reduces the amount of N released into the soil via the urine patch.
In urine patches from animals grazing Ecotain, the conversion of ammonium to nitrate is delayed. Slower conversion allows plants a greater opportunity to uptake N, significantly reducing the potential for leaching.
The presence of Ecotain plants in the soil reduces nitrate leaching, likely through the effect of a biological nitrification inhibitor.
Stacking up the benefits
- Huge reduction in N leaching – up to 89% from the urine patch depending on sward blend and conditions (see Science)
- Increases feed quality and/or supply during summer and autumn
- Improves speed of sward recovery after summer dry
- Improves cool season activity of pasture base
- An ideal source of minerals for animal health and performance.