For more information on establishment and grazing, please talk to your local seed retailer or request a brochure.
Getting Ecotain™ growing
Basics of establishment
- Ecotain can be sown in either spring or autumn, when soil temperatures are above 10oC - 12oC
- Best established by sowing into a cultivated seedbed or direct-drilling seed into a herbicide-treated pasture.
- Broadcasting seed is the simplest and cheapest technique of sowing, but reduces the total number of plants that establish.
- DairyNZ research indicates that the increased cost of direct drilling, compared to broadcasting (approximately $240/ha), is more than compensated for by the increased first year yield (2.2 t DM/ha).
- Plan establishment with your local rep to get premium growth.
At what seed rate?
- 12 kg/ha for a pure sward or 12 kg/ha Ecotain/4 kg/ha clover mix (if clover is to be added) or 2 - 6 kg/ha in an oversowing/diverse mix.